View All 4 Spandex Colors
Lightning Print Spandex 01 blue black
- Tips & Tricks
Lighting Print Spandex Jersey is a medium weight, knit fabric ideal for costuming and bodywear. This fabric's nylon content gives it a smooth, silky handfeel and beautiful sheen, and its generous stretch allows for body-conscious garments and ease of movement. The 4 way stretch fabric gives equally in all directions to provide comfort and ease of movement for strenuous physical activity and helps the garment hold its shape. Nylon/Spandex is smoother and offers more comfort and breathability than Poly/Spandex it travels easily, and its bright print is sure to be noticed.
86% Nylon/ 14% Spandex
4-way stretch (About 70% size increase when stretched on crosswise grain, 60% stretch on lengthwise grain). Soft drape with smooth, silky handfeel
Slight degree of shine on face side
Tips and Tricks:
- Use with nap cutting layout (i.e. all pattern pieces laid out in the same direction) so all pattern pieces reflect light the same way and shading is prevented
- Crosswise stretch should go horizontally across the body
- For cutting, lay out fabric on dressmaker’s cutting board, hold down pattern pieces w/fabric weights and trace around pattern pieces with a sharp rotary cutter. This allows for more precise cutting with knit fabrics.
- If cutting with shears, pin pattern pieces with thin, sharp pins (try our extra fine pins)
- If interfacing is needed, use lightweight fusible knit interfacing
- Use a ballpoint (stretch) needle when machine sewing
- Use a knit stitch to maintain stretch – chainstitch is ideal, but you can also use overlock (serger) to sew seams without additional stitch
- If you have to use a regular straight lockstitch, lower your stitch size (8-10 stitched per inch is a good estimate, but it’s best to experiment on a test swatch before sewing), and gently stretch the fabric while sewing to maintain stretch. Steam seams on lower (polyester/nylon) setting to eliminate unwanted puckering. You may want to use a pressing cloth if you have a particularly hot iron.
- Use self-binding, overlock (serger) or a roll-back hem with coverstich for hems and edges
Wash cold on gentle cycle or hand wash in cold water, hang dry.
4 Way Stretch Nylon Spandex
60 Inches Wide