View All 4 Silk Colors
Silk Banded Crepe Dark Blue
- Use & Care
Silk Banded Crepe fabric in dark blue is made from 100% grade A banded silk on a crepe backing. The bands are approximately 3/4 inches wide with alternating 1/8 and 1/16 inch gaps. Available in 6 standard colors, this fabric is also available in custom colors with a minimum order of 100 yards.
100% Grade A Silk
Plain weave w/crepe yarns tightly twisted in opposing directions (right-hand and left-hand twists) running in the weft
Tight crepe yarns give fabric its soft but slightly pebbly texture. Very light with a soft drape.
Very soft but visible sheen
Tips and Tricks:
- This is a structurally sound fabric that is not difficult to sew, but take extra care when working with such a thin fabric to prevent grain distortion and snagging
- Use with nap cutting layout (i.e. all pattern pieces laid out in the same lengthwise direction) so all pattern pieces reflect light the same way and shading is prevented.
- Because of it’s ultra thin weight, fabric tends to move when laid out for cutting. Layer the fabric between two sheets of tissue thin paper before cutting to stabilize. Hold fabric in place using fabric weights or fine, sharp pins (like our extra fine pins). Keep cut fabric pieces pinned to tissue paper until right before you’re ready to sew
- Use tissue paper as backing when sewing seams together to help stabilize fabric – tear away once seam is secure
- It’s best to only cut 1-2 layers at a time to avoid grain distortion
- Use a new, thin needle when sewing this fabric to avoid snags– especially when machine sewing
- Frays less than most other thin silk fabrics when cur, but still take care to finish all seams and hems
- The best finishes for crepe de chine are French seams, overlock (serger), purl stitch, and very narrow hems (1/8”)
Dry clean or hand wash in cold water using a mild detergent. Agitate gently and rinse with cool water after a few minutes. Do not let the fabric soak. Lay flat to dry, do not wring out. Iron on "silk setting" w/steam and pressing cloth.
44/45 Inches Wide
Bands Are 3/4 Inches Wide
Custom Colors Available
- Minimum 100 Yards