View All 22 Silk Colors
Silk Taffeta Stripes and Checks 03 1889
- Tips & Tricks
Silk Taffeta Stripes and Checks is a shiny, durable, medium weight fabric with a beautiful crisp drape. It is most often used in eveningwear and bridal/wedding, curtains/home decor, but can also be used for suits and high end sportswear. Silk taffeta holds its shape very well and so is ideal for creating voluminous garments that take advantage of the garment's sheen and crispness. Taffeta is a unique and distinctive fabric that is very easy to sew.
100% Grade A Silk
Unbalanced plain weave with long filament fibers
Slightly ridged surface in crosswise direction; crisp and holds its shape when draped
Very high degree of shine
Tips and Tricks:
- This fabric is very forgiving and easy to sew, but tends to ravel slightly at raw edges
- Use with nap cutting layout (i.e. all pattern pieces laid out in the same lengthwise direction) so all pattern pieces reflect light the same way and shading is prevented.
- Use standard stitch size and a sharp, fine needle when machine sewing – it’s best to use a new needle every time you start a project to ensure sharpness.
- Although Taffeta looks great when pleated, since it is a natural fiber it does not hold a crease well. But, this also means it’s wrinkle resistant!
- Great for tailored and structured garments
- Even when fully lining the garment, overlock (serge) seam allowances to prevent fraying
- Taffeta is very versatile. Depending on the garment, some of the finishes you can use are: French seams, overlock (serger), binding, rolled hem, hand-stitched or top-stitched hem.
Dry clean recommended; press on “silk” setting with steam.
100% Silk Taffeta